The church and square San Lorenzo
You can reach the square and the church of San Lorenzo from the Duomo (cathedral) by taking the Borgo San Lorenzo to the square of the same name.
Address: Piazza San Lorenzo
Opening hours: every day from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm. Closed on Sundays.
Price : 7,00 €.
The statue of John of the Black Stripes dominates the square where there is a small colorful market.
The church dates back to 393 and was rebuilt in 1060. Giovanni de Bucci commissioned Brunelleschi to rebuild the church but due to lack of funds the work was not completed until 1460, and the facade remains in bare brick.
The interior, very bare, is the first example of Italian Renaissance architecture. The building does, however, contain some masterpieces, including the two pulpits by Donatello, with bronze bas-reliefs depicting scenes from the Passion and Resurrection.
The entrance to the Sagrestia Vecchia is to the left of the main altar. Brunelleschi's plan, a square covered by a hemispherical dome, was innovative for its time. Donatello did all the decoration: the four two-meter diameter tondis, the friezes and the reliefs of the tympanums of the doors. The fresco of the celestial vault (constellation and path of the sun) commemorates a date on which the specialists still hesitate.